Enriching the Gardening Community with New Media
September 22-24, 2013
The Things We Don't Do:
- We don't do DIY
- We don't avoid politics
- We don't avoid profanity
- We don't think about what our readers want
- We don't look at analytics
- We don't know what SEO
- We don't talk to each other
- We don't have a plan
- We don't make money
- and we embrace controversy.
Listening to Amy was like drinking a glass of grappa. The warmth goes through your entire body. I temporarily felt better about myself and my blog. This didn't last long.
- I did not know that content was an opportunity to market.
- I did not know that creating content creates energy around "my business."
- I did not know that creating an editorial calendar was essential.
- I did not know that one should always tag images.
- I did not know that comments are a measure of a person's engagement with your site.
- I did not know to drive traffic is to build a community.
Does the reader feel they receive value from your site?
That was another one of those zingers. It was time for a cup of coffee.
One of the most challenging questions asked at this conference: What am I willing to unsubscribe to?